Friday 20 May 2011

Ubuntu 11.04 Natty - Changing the Number of Workspaces

OS: Ubuntu 10.04 Natty Narwhal

By default, Natty comes with 4 workspaces, which you can view by clicking the Workspace Switcher icon in the Unity Launcher. I personally don't like using multiple workspaces, so I wanted to change this to 1, so I didn't accidentally move windows to hidden workspaces (with hotkeys etc.) never to find them again. Others of you may want to reduce the number to 2, or even increase the number. An easy way to do this is with the Compiz Config Settings Manager, but if you don't have this installed, you can do it with gconf-editor.
  1. Hit F2 and type gconf-editor
  2. Navigate to apps > compiz-1 > general > screen0 > options
  3. Update the number of workspaces by changing the values of the variables hsize and vsize, which represent the horizontal and vertical number of workspaces respectively (I set both of mine to 1)
Note: if like me you only want to have 1 workspace, you probably will also want to get rid of the Workspace Switcher icon in the Unity Launcher. Once you have followed the above instructions, all you have to do is log out and back in again and the icon will be gone!

5 comments:

  1. thx, that helped

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent!!!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be able to have just one workspace but still use expo but even with just the one it still shows a grid of four, with 3 missing, and when I click on the sole workspace it still needs another click before I can choose the program I want to focus on, annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thx for the help!  I like knowing exactly what, & how many, windows I have open.  Multiple workspaces makes that difficult......especially "involuntary" multiple workspaces.

    ReplyDelete